Monday, October 10, 2011

Potatoes

For those of you who have known me for a long time, you know I hate potatoes. Well when I first got married, I decided I would make Joe mashed potatoes, as it was his favorite food. Well lets just say it was more soup than anything else. It was a complete disaster and I never tried again, nor did Joe ask me to try again. I really think if they had the show, "Worst Cook in America" at that time on the Food Network my potatoes would have qualified me for it!!!!!!!

So over the years I have slowly, and slowly is the key word as we have been married almost 9 years, trying potatoes. I have started by eating the potatoes and onions Joe often cooks for breakfast for the boys. Then I graduated to trying a baked potatoes (fully loaded of course) but enjoying it and even shocking Joe by requesting Mashed potatoes with steak at times. But I couldn't get passed the Mashed potatoes. When Joe would make them it would be lumpy and I couldn't stand the potato chunks in it. So I opted for instant potatoes, as obviously the recipe to do the potatoes to taste doesn't work for me if I won't taste them. So the other night we were having a rotisserie chicken. We had potatoes at home and I decided I would try to make mashed potatoes again. So I cooked them until they were falling apart, and then put them in the mixer, for what seemed like years. I added butter and salt and a tad of milk ( not a whole cup like before). And after a few minutes i loved the result. I told Joe I didn't even want the chicken, but just the potatoes. He checked to make sure I didn't have a fever and was like wow.

So I now like potatoes and eat them all ways. However, I told Joe I was picky and had to make the potatoes as I am not sure how I would do with some lumps. But I am now excited about Thanksgiving with the mashed potatoes. So if you are having us over for dinner anytime soon, I now eat Mashed potatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Caryn said...

try mixing sour cream into your mashed potatoes-i bet you'll love it!