Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shelves


Well we decided to build some shelves downstairs in the basement to try to unclutter our basement. So I watched a video online about building shelves and took the plans and modified it for our area.

I went to Lowes a few weeks ago and purchased the wood with joe's truck. One thing I didn't think about was that the truck bed is 8 feet with the tailgate down, not up. So I had to learn how to tie down the plywood and the 2 x 4's real quick. I figured it out and we didn't have any accidents along the way!!
















So I constructed the boards and then I had asked the guy at lowes how to attach it to the concrete block. He showed me a pack of concrete anchors that also had a drill bit in it for concrete. Great I thought. So I get started on the project and the first few holes were ok, but after that I went through the power battery 3 times and wasn't getting anywhere. Joe even tried, and wasn't successful. So after getting frustrated with wanting the project done, I drove back to Lowes after we had researched 2 different items. A Hammer Drill, an electric, drill that somehow can drill through concrete like a real drill can't. Plus a Power Accuated Tool, Caliber Shingle Shot, to be exact, that would also drive nails into concrete. We were planning on the cheaper power accuated tool that you hit with a hammer to get the nails into it. However, the nice guy at Lowes talked me into the Hammer Drill, and the reason being the Power Accuated tool only drives nails, and with the weight of the stuff on the shelves a screw would be better. Therefore, we are now the proud owners of a Hammer Drill!!!! The best news is that I thought we would use it for this project and never again, however as the shelves are already full, I am thinking more shelves will have to be built on the other side, and the drill can be used again!!! Yipee.

No comments: