Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicken Scampi

If anyone has ever watched the Food Network they may have heard about a show called the Worst Cooks in America. Well compared to those folks I am not the worst cook, but pretty much we eat similiar foods every month. I have started making a menu of our dinners every month and have been inspired by the show to try new things. So I added Chicken Scampi to the menu. Erin and I had it at Olive Garden when we went out one might before she left. It was great and Joe had found the recipe to it online a few years ago and it just happened to be in our recipe book. So I went and bought the ingredients and gave it a good attempt. Well the first problem was the garlic. I used the butcher knife to the clove of garlic method I had seen multiple times on tv. What they never show is that 10 of the 20 cloves fly off the table and onto the ground depending on how hard you hit it. Then I got to use my food processor I never knew I had. It came with my blender that I use all the time for making baby food, and just recently found the food processor attachment and used it. Joe thought the whole kitchen smelled like garlic!! Well one of the ingredients in Chicken Scampi is wine. Something called Chiablis. If any of you are wine drinkers you might know what this is, I am not and Joe ended up going to 3 different stores looking for anyone that was opened on Sunday and came home with a bottle. Of course, since we drink so much wine in our house, we went on a made hunt to find a cork screw to remove the cork. We came up with nothing, and ended up taking the bottle to our neighbors and using theirs!!! So I followed the directions and was very happy that it looked good. I took a bite, and thought wow that is spicy. Not sure where the spice came from, Joe asked what was in it and sure enough the crushed red pepper flakes stuck out. But then I said Italian Seasoning. Did you know that crushed red pepper is in italian seasoning??? I did not. So I got a double dose of red pepper flakes. So next time I will eliminate the red pepper flakes and use the italian seasoning and hopefully it will be good. It still tasted good, but both the boys said "HOT". Joe and I, enjoyed it and I do hope to make it again, I just need an hour of no kids to make the sauce and everything. So the only remaining question is how long is wine good for?? Since it won't get tasted at our house, unless I make this dish again, how long do we keep a corked bottle of wine around??

No comments: