Friday, June 17, 2011

When the people are away. . .




Today I had to take the boys to the babysitters house. I was only going to be gone half the day so I decided to leave Peanut outside. She likes to be outside and soaking up the suns rays. Shadow however like to be inside and she is typically on our bed sleeping the day away. I came home today and heard a weird noise outside. I finally got around to looking outside and I see a squirrel on the screen door outside our bedroom window and Peanut is barking up a storm. I open the door and our runs Shadow. This is too much for the squirrel and she falls off the screen and there is a mad dash. The squirrel almost makes it to the fence line, but unfortunately Shadow had other ideas and started to toss her around. Peanut joined in the fun and they are playing tug of war with the poor squirrel. I am screaming for them to let the squirrel go and running oafter them, asI realize I left the screen door outside and eli may be going off the steps, so I run back inside and close the screen. I then proceed outside again and get Shadow to let go, but Peanut grabs the squirrel and is chewing and tossing it around not letting go. The poor squirrel is making some noises but not a lot. Peanut gets up by the house, squirrel in the mouth still, and I finally get her to drop it and get the dogs inside. The poor squirrel is just laying there for the boys to watch.
Luke-why is the squirrel taking funny breaths
Me-it is dying
L-why is it dying
Me-because Peanut and shadow bit it, they thought it was a toy
L-is it going to heaven to be with Jesus
Me-Yep
L-will it be alive after it walks across the bridge to Jesus (yes we were talking about Jesus being the bridge between Man and God)
Me-yes it will
L-will we see it again
Me-yes one day in heaven
L-it stopped moving now
Me-yes I think it is dead

So I tell the boys I am going to change, as I am still in my dress from work, and then get a shovel and throw it over the fence. I go into the bedroom and I see a disaster on the floor and the window. This is what I pictured:

Peanut sleeping on the step. Nice gray squirrel comes into the fence and starts looking for food. Peanut notices nice squirrel and starts going after it. Nice squirrel runs away from Peanut and ends up on the screen. Shadow decides to get in on the fun, however she is inside, and the blinds are drawn, so she has to bite and claw to get the blinds down so she can see the squirrel and scare it. The squirrel is saying i am safe from this little brown dog, we are the same size, then it sees this big black monster from inside the house and doesn't realize it can't reach it, but decides to empty its bodily functions on our screen anyway as it is scared to death. The whole process of destroying the blinds and keeping the poor squirrel pinned up on the screen must take a good amount of time, as when I got home Peanut wasn't barking at the squirrel anymore but calmly sitting below it on the step looking at it.

So needless to say the blinds are destroyed and are beyond repair. The ones left on the holder have claw and teeth marks in them, most of the blinds were in half, all beyond repair!!! So next time you want to leave the house, leave a sign for no squirrels in the yard!!

No comments: