Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bathroom Project

(finished)

Well a few months ago we noticed some mildew behind the shower head in our shower. It turns out that the nozzle got some debris in it and was spraying a little backwards. We got the problem fixed, but wanted to put some tile behind it to make sure if it started to spray backwards again, we were protected. The other day I went to Home Depot and brought home like 12 different tile samples. After much debate, Joe picked the most expensive tile I brought home (way to go). So I returned the unwanted tiles and we got enough of the tile pattern we did want. The plan was to do at least the one wall of the shower, but maybe the whole shower area. We also discussed about doing around our bathtub, as it is separate from the shower.

(finished)


So this weekend I set out on the tile project. I found this stuff called tiling made simple. Where it is like glue squares that you put on the wall, so you don't have to set the adhesive and let it and the tile sit for awhile before you can grout and stuff. So I did that last night and then laid the tile. As you can see we chose small tiles, so it was painful trying to get each little square in it's right place and all lined up.





(pregrout)

Ok if you believe that last line, you are silly. They make these 12 x 12 sheets now a days with all the little tiles placed on mesh and you just set it on the wall where you want it. I did have to cut it for the shower head and then for around the tub, but it was super easy!!!! Also with this you could grout as soon as you put the tile in place!!



(pregrout)

Then today was the grout. Again I went with the super easy, premixed grout. I was shocked at how much grout you used, but went to the local hardware store and found just what I needed to finish the job. So the job ended right around 5, which was perfect as there was enough time to through the chicken Parm in the oven I had cooked earlier and we ate at 6!!!

No comments: