Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Even though we live in Pennsylvania and Hurricane Ike struck Texas and Louisiana, we still got hit by some winds. On Sunday night most of western PA was upset when their power went out during the Steelers game. That power came back on for some quickly and for others it was a 4 day ordeal. Our house was lucky and we had power the next morning so we never went without warm water. Being on a well you forget you need power to run the water. However our work wasn't as lucky as we were without power from Sunday night until Wednesday afternoon. So we all brought in flashlights and lanterns and saw patients in the dark to the best of our ability. We only had a schedule for Monday and Tuesday so on Wednesday we didn't know who was coming into be seen. We definitely had slower days, but it was fun none the less. The best was trying to go the bathroom in the dark, since there is city water, we also carried a lantern in with us to light the way. Joe was happy because he just worked from home most days and didn't have to wear a suit and tie. The grocery store was also affected and they had to get rid of all their food that went bad.

We know it was nothing like those in Texas are dealing with, but we have a very small taste of it here in PA. We did have one tree come down in our neighbors yard, but nothing else. lots of branches. There were many trees just hanging on power lines. It is our understanding that a lot of electrical folks are down in Texas so there were less to deal with things up here.

On another note we are doing well. Luke is trying to be helpful around the house and puts things in the garbage can. yesterday he was playing with my pager before we left for work. As I took him down to the car I realized I didn't have my pager. So I left him strapped in and paged myself (it was just 3 days ago that I even put my pager number into my phone), so I am walking upstairs and hear it go off and locate it----in the trash can!!! Yipee. Way to go Luke, that is what I feel like doing with it most days anyway, but I am not allowed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally found your new blog! I've been thinking about you all! It looks and sounds like all is well. I'm having a little sentimental moment or two thinking about the past and how great it was for my family to be connected with you!

We love you all and are praying for you!

Pastor Jim